sktch

School finally closed out about a month ago, and between now and then I've been working at a start-up in the Loop (RIP Cakestyle), traipsing around downtown, and eating unhealthy quantities of Wisconsin cherries and salted-caramel ice cream. I haven't had much time to sit down and produce any quality art, but I've also been planning on making this particular post for a while.

I have the very crisp memory of being sharply scolded in 7th grade by a teacher who could absolutely not tolerate any shape or form of doodling on notes or homework. This was one of the many falling-outs I had with this particular teacher, and doodling has been both a huge help and huge part of my note-taking process, to the point that I've saved countless notebooks that are one part notes and one part sketches. 

So this post isn't particularly awe-inspiring or deliberate, but more of an end-of-the-school-year tradition of documenting my "note-taking process."










Beginning sketches for a logo I made for the lovely and talented Keely Yount!








This particular quote was a bit of a fixation during my last quarter in school. I'll probably flesh it out into a an actual illustration sometime soon. It's based off a Mark Twain quote - “Eat a live frog every morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” If you do the worst thing on your plate first thing in the morning, the rest of the day is easy/breezy/beautiful. I've tried to wrestle my life into some form of regular frog-eating instead of laying in bed eating pretzels and hoping all my work going up in flames so I don't have to do it.

In other news - I'm leaving for Indonesia next week, to see my family for the first time in a year, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have for updating. It's a hypothetical toss-up between being busy and on-the-road the whole summer, and having too much time on my hands and thus making heaps of Things. I have a few big design projects I'll be working on over the summer, one of which is trying to figure out how the hell to use Squarespace and hopefully putting together a portfolio of sorts. As always, we shall see. (For those of you with trust issues, I promise I'll definitely be posting regularly on my Instagram if not here.)

x, j

2 comments:

  1. Hahah... Turkish Royals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is the cigarette I drew has an American Spirit eagle on it. heh heh

      Delete